Original blog

This blog was originally written in German by Jonas Wietelmann and is translated here into English by Gabriel Josset & Danielle Josset.
See the original blog here:

Where am I now?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Monday, August 16, 2010

Dubai II

Tracks:
Arrival and first day : http://bit.ly/bShVi0
Zoom : The Palm Jumeirah : http://bit.ly/dubZ12
Zoom : The Burj Khalifi (Burj Dubai) : http://bit.ly/cb78eg

How should I describe this city? I can think of many ways: artificiality, luxury, multiculturalism, decadence, versatility.
Dubai reveals a world that on one side of the global zeitgeist, satisfies the "need" to have anything at any time, but on the other side does not follow the European trend of environmental responsibility and sustainability at all times. Water is the element that many here refer to as the Godfather: to a civilization formerly located in the desert, it projects in the form of fountains and aquariums the wealth of the city. When walking through Dubai, a luxurious environment occurs as a surreal world. The life is played out here, above all, from the halls of the big hotels and shopping malls. * In the Dubai Mall, the largest mall in the world, with the largest water displays in the world, next to the tallest building in the world, Western culture combines with Arabic design. There is nothing that you can't find: not even the German franchise chain of Nordsee, nor a skating rink, nor a waterfall and of course, the largest aquarium in the world.
A city of superlatives? Definitely. I'm torn between rejection and fascination.
This city and its cultural paradigm will be in absolute contrast to what awaits me for the next seven weeks. But I see it positively and look forward to the adventures yet to come.

Before I forget: before my trip, the two friendly owners of the "Asia-laden" in Marburg gave me a fortune cookie for my trip : "A pleasant change awaits you." I am looking forward to it.

* Http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_Mall

No comments:

Post a Comment