Original blog

This blog was originally written in German by Jonas Wietelmann and is translated here into English by Gabriel Josset & Danielle Josset.
See the original blog here:

Where am I now?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Monday, August 16, 2010

Dubai

Frankfurt airport is already giving me a taste of what I expect from this trip: to meet many people and make friends with them through conversation. Oliver, a business traveler on his way to Tehran - he was so open and direct (as is typical in the Ruhr region), he offered right away to buy me some coffee (thanks again) and luck led us to sit side by side on the plane - Next time I will beat you at Tetris!

So here begins my journey. Imke has just picked me up from the airport - I have already crossed my first cultural hurdle : at passport control, when they asked me where I was going to stay in Dubai, I gave them the apartment of my best friend. Later, I found out from Imke that there is a taboo to sleep with women with whom one is not married, explaining the strange look that the official gave me!

Now it's 2am, the temperature is an unnatural (for me) 38 ° C outside. Tomorrow is forecast at 45 ° C - and since we are in the Ramadan period, drinking or eating in public during the day is not allowed.
I'm looking forward to explore this city by the desert and the sea. You do hear a lot about Dubai everywhere, but I had not yet been able to truly imagine it.

A big thanks to Gabe, who has made it possible for you to see where I am and also offered to translate my posts in English along with his sister Danielle. For all the English speaking folks out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment